Saturday, July 4, 2015

Elevator acquaintance

I saw a dapper old gentleman waiting for an elevator, not having realized it had arrived. He was carrying a plate of food and bags of fruit. I let him go ahead and punched his floor. "Someone's lucky, I see" I said. "I hope she wants it, " he said hesitantly. "She hasn't asked for anything in 8 months she has been here. She was finally requesting food. I am relieved." In that moment I could imagine these past 8 months of worry, fear, hope and disappointment. I could imagine how their relationship might have changed from lover to caregiver..and how just a small scent of hope can lift a spirit. He had a bounce in his step, a smile on his face and a glint in his eye. Those moments that compel you to appreciate what you have are sacred and few. Enjoy now.

No comments:

Post a Comment