Friday, September 3, 2010

Phases

Having been through a number of decades, I also recall being through a number of phases. So many phases I cringe at, yet helped to define what I am yet to be, so I cannot pretend I didn't have a Shag. (To all Brits that is a haircut). Before the Shag though like most little girls in the 70's my mother's objective was to keep the hair out of my eyes, so I had a Pixie. In the later 70's Farah Fawcett hair would only do, and that with platform shoes and bell bottom jeans! I rocked...and sometimes tumbled...and often had wet pant cuffs because it was cooler if they dragged a little behind.

Can anyone live down the 80's? Neon, bad hair, lots of bad music, leggings and ugly shoes. The ever changing fashion industry is happy we embrace what they hawk. They are already cooking up the next new thing.

I think of different kinds of phases in life as well. When you get all caught up in a sport, a group, certain friends, activities. We had a brief Boggle phases with friends before their kids grew a little and distracted us. We had a party phases too. One of us would be hosting a party with a band or a theme. That was a fun phase. Currently Ken and I are in the "getaway" phase. Finding a great place to ride for a day or two is what is defining us now.

I am also in a "health nut" phase, which I hope will be longer than a phase. It is not just about being vegetarian. It is not just about doing what you know to do....it is trying to live in such a way that you are doing all you can. Okay....it could be idealistic. It works for me right now.

Reminiscing through the phases is cathartic. The evolution of life and the evolution of myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment